Skip to main content

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides valuable experience to students inside and outside their field of study.

Students are encouraged to work part-time while in school to gain work experience and help contribute to the cost of their education and reduce their loan indebtedness.

Program Details

Hiring departments can locate Work-Study Central in MyPack by navigating to Work-Study Central underneath the navigation bar > Admin Services > Work-Study Central.

Employers who want to hire a work-study student must submit their position listing (existing or new) through MyPack Portal.

Follow these instructions to review your existing work-study position or create a new work-study job opportunity.

All undergraduate students who qualify for Federal Work-Study will see FWS as part of their financial aid offer.

Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to maintain eligibility.

Students can only participate in one work-study position per term (Fall/Spring). Students can, however, hold other non-work-study jobs during the same term. Participants can work each term from the first day of class through the last day of exams.

Eligible students may search job listings in MyPack Portal beginning shortly before fall classes start. Students select interesting jobs and reach out to the contact shown on the job posting to apply.

Employers then schedule interviews with their top candidates and make hiring decisions. It is best to notify all applicants of their application status, regardless of whether they are invited to interview.

The allowable wage range is $7.25 -$15.00 per hour. If employers wish to pay a higher wage, exceptions are granted on a case-by-case basis.

We aim to ensure pay equity among all FWS and non-FWS students employed by the University.

Hourly wages should always be calculated based on job responsibilities and level of experience.

Some positions are located off-campus with nonprofit community service organizations.

Students must provide their own transportation to these sites.

All off-campus community service positions are paid $14.00 per hour.

Once a hiring department has created a work-study job and selected their candidate, the employer must complete two more steps before the student can begin working.

First, the employer must submit a “Voucher to Hire” form (available in early August) through Work-Study Central.

Next, expand the common tasks bar and click the “Go” button next to “Prepare Voucher to Hire Work-Study Student.”

Upon submission, the voucher will route via email to the supervisor, payroll specialist, and the student, who must electronically sign and save the form. The voucher can also be found directly in the Work-Study Central under your “Action Items.”

Finally, the hiring department creates a “Job Action Request” in the HR system and confirms employment eligibility with federal Form I-9 and E-Verify.

The job code for work-study hires is TSW912.

The calculators below will help determine how many hours a student will work per week during the academic year based on wage rate and earnings limit.

The basic formulas behind these calculators are:

(FWS offer amount ÷ Hours per week) ÷ Hourly wage = Weeks allowed

(FWS offer amount ÷ Weeks wanting to work) ÷ Hourly wage = Hours allowed

Work is allowed during breaks within each term AND in between the fall and spring semesters. However, if the student is graduating in December or not enrolled in the fall & spring terms they cannot work in between semesters

Earnings from Work-Study positions are paid directly to the student every two weeks rather than applied to charges on the student account.

Student earnings should not exceed their offered amount each semester. Any funds not earned during the fall semester can be carried over to the spring term.

It is the responsibility of the employer to monitor student earnings, which can be viewed through Work-Study Central in MyPack Portal. Earnings exceeding the offered amount will be charged 100% to the department. Generally, students should work no more than 20 hours per week.

A student’s FWS offer may need to be reduced or canceled during the year by OSFA. Reasons include the following:

  • The student receives an additional grant
  • The student has dropped below half-time enrollment status
  • The student didnot achieve Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in the prior term, making the student ineligible for financial aid, including FWS funds

The FWS program will cover 75% of the student’s earnings, with the remaining 25% covered by the employing unit.

The FWS amount listed on the student’s offer letter reflects gross wages, including the department’s and the financial aid portions.

Time worked is recorded through WolfTime in MyPack Portal for every bi-weekly pay period. All WolfTime entries and approvals must be made by the end of each semester.

You can monitor student earnings and expedite reports in Work-Study Central. View the “Earnings” section. See how to generate an earnings report.

Employers may evaluate FWS students at the end of each semester or as needed, using a Performance Appraisal Form.

FWS jobs should be treated as any other job, and employers and students are encouraged to discuss any problems or misunderstandings that may occur. Students should be aware their FWS job is an opportunity to enhance their resumes.

Students typically remain in their FWS job for their hired duration, but a student may discontinue employment at any time. The student is encouraged to give a minimum of one week’s notice when resigning from a position. Students who do not carry out their job responsibilities can be terminated from their job at any time.

When a student is terminated, the employing department must update the end date on the voucher form with the termination date. This prompts the system to automatically re-post the position for new applicants. In addition, the employing department must submit a “Job Action Request” to separate the employee and remove them from payroll.

We encourage employers to maintain personnel files and document any incidents or concerns. Some of the major reasons for termination include:

  • failure to report to work
  • repeated tardiness
  • poor attitude
  • failure or inability to perform the tasks required
  • falsification of timesheets
  • theft or embezzelment
  • destruction of University property
  • threats or use of physical force
  • any illegal activities conducted on University propety including alcohol or druge use

Terminations will be handled following the policies and procedures established by North Carolina State University. Employers should contact Krista Ringler or Shawn Smith to report the termination of a student.

For discussion and resolution of problems that exist in the workplace, students should contact their immediate supervisor.

If the problem is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction after working with the immediate supervisor, please contact the Work-Study Coordinator in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and the Office of Legal Affairs.

Contact Information

If you are an employing department and have questions about the Federal Work-Study Program on-campus, contact Marion Zanga at 919.513.1887 or Off-campus partners, please contact Shawn Smith at 919.513.3515 or

Students can contact their financial aid counselor if they have questions about work-study or financial aid.