As part of the Strategic Planning process, the Student Success Taskforce identified internal transfer as a persistent problem at NC State. Registration and Records partnered with Enterprise Application Systems, the College of Engineering, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and the Poole College of Management to create CODA (Change of Degree Application) – a centralized online system for undergraduates to submit requests to change to or add majors.
“Students, faculty, and advisers find the new CODA system to be accessible, efficient, and effective in facilitating the transition from one degree program to another. CODA represents a good use of technology solutions to benefit the campus community.”
Dr. Karen R. Young, Assistant Dean and Director of Undergraduate Programs, CHASS and Dr. Victoria J. Gallagher, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, CHASS
Benefits and Features of CODA:
- Centralizes transfer requirements: Minimum transfer requirements and departmental transfer preferences for every undergraduate major have been compiled in a central location helping students to more quickly identify majors for which they are transfer eligible.
- Provides standard application and common deadlines: The system provides a convenient, standard interface and a consistent set of procedures across campus. A standard online application and common application deadlines have helped eliminate student confusion about the change of major process and should help students transfer into majors in a timely manner thus improving progress toward degree and graduation rates.
- Quantifies demand: The online system helps departments/colleges determine actual demand for their majors and allows for decisions on internal transfer to be based on capacity.
- Supports efficient decision making: The CODA college/departmental review and decision roster displays applicants for internal transfer in a grid that includes key data fields such as total GPA, total hours passed, hours remaining in the major the student is trying to transfer into, and major GPA. This data allows decision makers to easily sort and compare students and more quickly make accept/deny decisions. Additionally, the roster provides direct links to each student’s degree audit and transcript so decision makers have quick access to more in-depth student records data if needed.
- Simplifies data entry and eliminates paper: From the online decision roster, departments make approve/deny decisions and assign new advisors for those students accepted for transfer. Overnight processing then completes:
- the curriculum change
- the change in advisor assignment and
- the email notification to the student of the decision.
Previously, departments were required to route paperwork for approvals and the data entry required updates to three separate pages in the student information system.